Have you ever wondered whether or not your attic could be used for storage? If so, you may want to take a look at this article, which offers advice on turning your attic into a usable space.
The attic, though often used for storage, is typically one of the most underused rooms in a home. But it doesn't have to be that way. Attics can be turned into bedrooms, game rooms, home offices, and much more.
Before You Get Started
Before you get started, you first need to plan out what you want to use the space for. This will help you to determine whether or not your attic will be able to accommodate your idea. You will also need to make sure that your anticipated remodeling project is in line with local building codes. For example, most local codes require the height of the room to be 7 1/2 feet over 50 percent of the living area. If the highest point in your attic measures five feet, you may have a problem.
There are a lot of specific things you will need to keep in mind when planning and completing your attic remodel. Some of these special considerations include:
- Lighting – If you do not currently have enough natural light in the attic, you could install a window, skylights, or enough artificial lighting to brighten the space.
- Heating and Cooling – You may need to run new ducts or insulate to keep your new attic at a comfortable temperature.
- Flooring – Depending on how your attic is built, you might need to reinforce the framework to accommodate everyday living and furniture.
- Headroom – If you do not have the headroom you need to create a proper living space out of your attic, you can add dormers to raise the roof.
- Access – You need to have a way to access your attic space. You can either use an existing stairway or create a new one.
Once you have made sure that your idea will comply with local building codes, and you have thought about all of the special considerations that go along with attic remodeling, you are only limited by your creativity. Your attic can be turned into almost anything imaginable, and if done right, may even become one of the most used spaces in your home.
Article may not be reprinted without permission.
Tips, Tips And More Tips To Make Your Interior Space All Your's
Are there some rooms in your home that could use a little sprucing up? Luckily, this article is going to prove to be of great help. Find what you looking for by reading on. Consider the size of the bedroom when you are choosing the size of bed you buy. A
Tricks To Fix Your Home
This is something that will often scare people off when they want to take on a project. Becoming as educated as you can on the process, it can be much simpler. The tips below will help you get started with the fun process of creating an interior environm
Neat Home Improvement Pointers!
Even if you are unskilled, there are tips for home improvement that will make your project enjoyable and safer. This advice will help you do the right things when you are tackling a home improvement project. Read on for some helpful advice and tips in th