Every homeowner knows that modernizing the kitchen is one of the best ways to add value to their home. But it's also one of the best ways to increase their enjoyment of the kitchen, a room that undoubtedly gets a lot of traffic on a regular basis. Luckily, there are many ways to revamp the look of your kitchen without spending a fortune. Follow these ideas for kitchen decorating on a budget, and help your space feel like a million bucks.
1. Replace your kitchen cabinet hardware. Consider how changing your jewelry (or clothing) can change your entire mood or make you feel like a new person. Cabinet hardware has a similar effect on the feel of your kitchen. Replacing your kitchen knobs or pulls with fresh, decorative cabinet hardware is a fabulous and affordable way to enhance the look of your kitchen instantly. With hundreds of discount cabinet hardware designs available for under $3 a piece, you can outfit your entire kitchen on any budget. Just make sure that if you trade in your old cabinet pulls for new ones, you choose pulls with the same drill center so that the new pieces will fit perfectly into the holes that already exist. No need to hire a professional- replacing cabinet hardware is a quick and easy job for all homeowners.
2. Paint your kitchen table. Kitchen tables are used for more than just eating- they're used for food preparation, homework, art projects, board games and all sorts of other activities. It's not surprising then that these tables take a lot of abuse and often age the look of the kitchen. Painting your kitchen table can introduce a new color scheme into the room and give the space a quick pick-me-up. Consider adding a stenciled design to the tabletop for a unique and sophisticated look. And don't forget to sand down any rough edges or nicks on the table before painting it- this will also help the table from looking unnecessarily old.
3. Update your light fixtures. Proper kitchen lighting is essential for an efficient food preparation experience- but it is also a great way to add beauty to any kitchen. Installing a new ceiling fixture over the kitchen table is a great way to make a noticeable difference in the room. And with prices for beautiful light fixtures starting as low as $150, you should be able to purchase a fixture and have it installed (if necessary), even on a tight budget.
4. Add new wall hangings. Do you have blank wall space in your kitchen that is just crying out for attention? Is your kitchen clock older than your firstborn child? If so, updating your wall hangings or wall art can be a great way to enhance the look of your kitchen. Consider whether you want textured wall art or a classy collection of pictures to embellish the wall space near your eating area. You may be able to create your own wall art with pictures that you've taken placed in dramatic frames or an eye-catching display. Alternatively, you can browse garage sales and internet sites for affordable artwork that will add a touch of color and excitement to your kitchen.
5. Modernize your kitchen curtains. When you take down your kitchen curtains to clean them, do you just wish you could burn them? If so, replacing your kitchen curtains is the right budget kitchen renovation project for you. Today's curtains should be minimalistic, so that they enhance the space without overwhelming it. Stick to solid fabrics (even textured solid fabrics) or muted prints, rather than busy floral patterns or loud 80's-style geometrics. Find fabric that you like at wholesalers to keep your costs down. If you can't sew, you should be able to find a local seamstress or tailor who can craft exactly what you're looking for- and you'll have custom window treatments with a shockingly inexpensive price tag!
Kitchen decorating on a budget is a great way to stay focused and to really pinpoint the design elements that really matter to you, so that you get the most bang for your buck. Whether you implement one of these suggestions or several of them, you'll enjoy how a few obvious changes can transform the look of your space.
Sari Holtz is the author of hundreds of articles about home decorating and decorating on a budget. She is passionate about helping people enjoy the space that they live in. Sari is also the author of a Home Organization Tips, a blog that offers creating organizing tips for every home.
Dream Kitchen Appliances & Cost-Efficient Alternatives
Discover the trends in creating your dream kitchen from stainless steel to what type of stove to the quiet dishwasher [...]
Decorating Your Children's Rooms - Part 1
If you're decorating a room for a child who lives with you or visits often, you may feel like you're facing the ultimate challenge-but it can be done with style and on a budget, we assure you [...]
The Easy Way To Make Seat Covers For Bar Stools
A step-by-step guide on how to easily create seat covers for bar stools [...]