Do you, even periodically, have overnight guests? When you do, where do they sleep and keep their belongings? Do you give up your bedroom to them to assure that they are comfortable? Or, perhaps, do they simply crash on a couch or sofa sleeper and place their belongings any place they can find?
Having a guest room can be a luxury. But if you’re lucky enough to have the space for one, why not do it up right? Your guests deserve it, and you can create a comfortable guest room easily and affordably. Begin by jotting down some ideas for your guest room, using your responses to the following questions as your guide:
- " What kind of atmosphere do I want to create in my guest room? (Calming and restful? Fun and exciting?)
- " What furniture is essential to this room (e.g., a bed, dresser, night table)?
- " Do I already have furnishings and accessories that I could use?
- " Is there anything I need to purchase to complete the space?
Once your wishes for the room are clear, empty out the room, if it isn’t already. Paint, if that’s part of your plan, and take care of any flooring needs, such as laying down an area rug. Bring in the furniture you already own or have purchased, then take a step back. Before you begin accessorizing, go back to your answers to those questions, and contemplate the mood you’re going for. Your accessories are the items that will help you meet your goals and establish the mood, so choose them carefully.
For instance, if you’re hoping to create a tranquil, relaxing mood, try some of these simple, low-cost ideas:
- " Purchase clearance rack fabric in soft tones like light blue and soft pink, and re-cover throw pillows instead of purchasing new ones.
- " Gather accessories according to color, and display them in new ways. For instance, if you’re going for an all-white color palette, gather up all the books you have with white covers and stack them on the night stand.
- " Add calming touches such as scented candles, a light with a dimmer bulb, and soft fluffy pillows.
Copyright 2009 Rhonda Morin, MyInteriorDecorator.com. May not be reprinted.